The assumption of social responsibility is firmly anchored in our DNA and is one of Quoniam’s core corporate values. The focus is on society, the environment, diversity and inclusion, good corporate governance and sustainable investment.
Corporate mobility management and guideline for sustainable business travel
We motivate our employees to use public transport by providing them with a Job Ticket.
We also offer our employees the opportunity to carry out the majority of their work remotely. Work from home not only leads to greater flexibility, but also relieves traffic and thus the environment.
Work from home
According to a study by the Berlin Institute for Futures Studies and Technology Assessment, if 40 per cent of employees were to work permanently remotely two days a week, carbon emissions from transport could be reduced by 5.4 million tonnes per year. This would correspond to 18 per cent of all emissions caused by commuting – excluding business trips (Source: IZT-Institut für Zukunftsstudien und Technologiebewertung gemeinnützige GmbH im Auftrag von Greenpeace (2020): Arbeiten nach Corona. Warum Homeoffice gut fürs Klima ist).
When it comes to business travel, we are guided by the principles of sustainable mobility and take into account the following guideline for environmentally compatible business travel management:
Guideline for sustainable business travel
- We reduce the amount of traffic generated by business trips by combining several business transactions into one business trip wherever possible or by holding digital meetings instead of business trips.
- For business trips, we prefer to use environmentally friendly means of transport and try to avoid air travel. For rail journeys of less than four hours or for business trips lasting several days, we prioritise rail travel. For long-distance travel by air, we prefer direct flights without additional take-offs and landings that are harmful to the climate. If a flight is necessary, we aim to offset the resulting greenhouse gas emissions by supporting climate projects. Therefore, for all Quoniam air travel, ten euros are donated to a climate protection organisation.
- When choosing a rental vehicle, we pay attention to sustainability and prefer electric, hybrid or conventional vehicles with low carbon emissions.
- As a means of transport at the destination, we prefer the use of buses, trains, bicycles or walking. For taxi journeys that are necessary due to the location or time, we prefer sustainable driving and car sharing services.
- For business trips lasting several days, we prefer to book hotels with sustainability certificates, e.g. Green Globe, Sleep Green or Dehoga Umweltcheck.
Sustainable office buildings
The Westhafen Tower, where our Frankfurt office is located, uses energy-efficient technologies. The building has been certified Gold by LEED (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design) for its environmentally friendly design.
The building that houses our London office was also designed to be energy efficient and consume a minimum of resources. According to BREEAM (Building Research Establishment Environmental Assessment Methodology), it achieves a sustainability score of ‘excellent’ at 72.6%.
Quoniam has supported social and societal engagement for many years. Between 2016 and 2021, we actively supported various international social projects in cooperation with the Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) and the German Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ):
- 2016/2017 – Female Mortorcycle Mechanics and Solar Technicians (Ghana): the programme trained 350 women in solar and motorbike technology and helped 250 women find permanent jobs by 2019.
- 2018/2019 – Ensuring transferability and sustainability of technical skills in natural-based industries (Kenya): This project in Kenya provided local people with technical training in natural resource-based industries.
- 2020/2021 – Global Business Accelerator – Promoting Women Export Entrepreneurs (South Africa): This initiative supports women entrepreneurs in South Africa as they enter international markets, providing information and networking.
Furthermore, we conduct fundraising campaigns together with our colleagues, for example in 2022 for those affected by the war in Ukraine.
Governance and corporate governance
Quoniam has adopted the rules of conduct of the Bundesverband Investment und Asset Management e.V. (BVI). They include rules on personal securities trading, the acceptance of gifts and entertainment, money laundering, compliance with laws, regulations and corporate guidelines as well as payments and benefits. All employees are required to accept these guidelines. In addition, Quoniam has its own conflict-of-interest policy.
Diversity and inclusion
We promote diversity and inclusion in the workplace. We view diversity as an indispensable source of innovation and progress.
As a signatory of the Diversity Charter, we support the major German initiative for diversity in the workplace to promote diversity and appreciation in corporate culture.
- We have a work environment where we treat all employees as individuals, fairly and consistently.
- We promote a culture of respect and dignity, and actively address discrimination should it occur.
- Quoniam aims to recruit, develop and retain the most talented people and make the most of their talents – regardless of age, ethnic or social origin, nationality, gender/gender identity, physical and mental ability, religion/belief and sexual orientation.
nationalities are represented.
share of women – 23% in the area of investment professionals
The average age at Quoniam is 43
Our goal is to ‘make ESG simple’ for our clients through transparent screening, integration, engagement and reporting. The PRI is the most important international standard by which we align our approach. We also support the Climate Action 100+ and TCFD initiatives. Furthermore, we measure the carbon footprint of Quoniam Funds Selection SICAV.
Percentage of assets under management that take the following sustainability approaches* into account:
- Essential: 68%
- Enhanced + Focus: 22%
- Customized: 10%
*Essential: Consideration of material sustainability risks for all our AuM. Enhanced: Sustainable Investing approach for clients who want to consider sustainability in the investment process. Focus: Sustainable Investing approach for clients who want to focus on sustainability issues such as SDGs or climate. Customised: Clients with own ESG strategy